Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Indoor Table Tennis Equipment

Let’s talk a little bit about the equipment you need for table tennis. You may think: “why on earth is this guy talking about a couple of paddles and a ping-pong ball? I can get all that stuff together for $ 5,00 at my deli around the corner!”. And you are right you can. 

Therefore, you might be surprised when I tell you that I used to spend about $ 200 a month on my table tennis equipment. Yes, that’s right. It was $ 200, and sometimes even more like recently I just bought a Stiga Pro Carbon racket for myself which has cost me about $70 just for the blade. I guess the same is true for all different kind of sports equipment. I don’t know anything about baseball. So to me all the bats look exactly the same. But even without knowing anything about it, I am sure that my theory is wrong. 

Very likely, there are huge differences between the various types of bats, the wood they are made of, size, weight, etc. So for table tennis, it’s exactly the same story. Let’s start with the paddle. A paddle consists of the bat (which is made of wood, or sometimes a combination of different woods and other materials). Now typically, each bat also comes with different handle shapes, such as straight, concave, etc. 



Each bat has two sides and in 95% of the time, both sides are covered with a rubber. There are some players who only cover one side, because they only use one their forehand and therefore don’t need to cover the backhand. One side has to be black and the other one has to be red. There are no exceptions to this rule. 

The table tennis equipment suppliers provide each of their rubbers in both, red and black. Typically, each table tennis rubber has a spongy kind of layer attached underneath. That layer comes in various thicknesses. The thinker, the fast is the rubber.  The rubbers differentiate from each other in tackiness and density. Both factors play an important role as you develop your game. Some players use a lot of spin on their shots; others prefer more the straight shot variations and therefore don’t need as much grip as others.

There are two general categories of rubbers, the inverted ones and the pimples. The inverted ones are by far more popular. The pimples, or also called long pimples, are mostly used by players who prefer a rather defensive tactic. I’m going to talk about the different playing styles and the relation to equipment in another article.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bounce: How Champions are Made

This is a book I have been reading: BOUNCE by Matthew Syed. Have not finished yet but I enjoy it so much that I want to share it! Matthew ...